Special Day! - Eve's 3 year old birthday!!!

Today is such a special day around here because our Eve turned 3 years old today! I LOVE the kids' birthdays- I love just pretty much letting them do whatever they want to do and spoiling the heck out of them. I get more excited about their birthdays, than I do mine now! 

We were hanging out with some of our BFFs yesterday, and I asked Eve what she wanted for her birthday breakfast.  She said "princesses"--hmmmm, so my friend Misti asked what do princesses eat, and Misti's daughter said "carrots"! Haha! So, for the rest of the day, Eve requested carrots for breakfast. Okaaaaaay. Any other day, I would think that was awesome but I really wanted to make something fun for her, so I suggested Carrot Cake Doughnuts and she was sold : ) . 

Here is the recipe: From Baked Doughnut for Everyone- Ashley McLaughlin

For The Doughnuts:
1/2 cup oat flour (I grind my gf oats in my blendtec)
1/2 cup sweet rice flour (I buy from Amazon)
1/3 cup pure cane sugar
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk (I used cashew milk)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I actually left this out)
3/4 cup finely grated carrots

To Make the Doughnuts:
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your doughnut pan. 
Combine oat flour, sweet rice flour, cane sugar, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt in a large bowl, mixing well.  In another bowl, whisk the eggs together. Then whisk in the milk, applesauce, maple syrup, oil and vanilla extract.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined, being careful not to overmix (stop when you no longer see dry flour).  Gently fold in the finely grated carrots. 
Spoon the batter into the doughnut molds, filling to just below the top of each mold. Bake for 20-24 minutes until lightly golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Place on a cooling rack. 

For the Frosting:
I just took some coconut butter and mixed with a little bit of cashew milk and spread that on the doughnut.
**I mixed the dry ingredients and wet ingredients the night before and just combined them in the morning so they were ready to go and I didn't do much at all in the morning!**




We then headed to Build A Bear Workshop and Eve picked a bunny to make. Then, since I have no.willpower.at.all when my kids have their birthdays, I let her pick a dress for the bunny. (I told her before we got there that we weren't going to dress the animal she picked- way to stay strong mom: )).

I gave them meal options for lunch and Eve is pretty amiable with where we eat, so Luke picked Tom + Chee for her birthday lunch. A winner! It is a grilled cheese and tomato place- They make a grilled.cheese.doughnut. Whaaaaat? Yes, please. Eve ordered that, Luke stuck with a basic grilled cheese. I had to go gourmet (of course) and I got goat cheese, mushrooms and bell peppers on gluten free bread. 
Below: half of the grilled cheese on the doughnut! 


We came home and they both wanted to help me make Eve's requested chocolate chip cookie cake- so here is the recipe I used- 
The recipe is for individual cookies, but I just put all of the dough in a pie pan and baked it that way! 




We can't wait for her to open presents and go to our favorite Dave Poe's BBQ for her birthday dinner. She loves going there and requested that! We will bring her cake with us and sing to her there. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sweet girl! 




Comments

Popular Posts