Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes




So, I decided to do a "riff" off of another recipe I was going to make this week.  The recipe already looked good but I wanted to make changes and go with the sweet/salty combo.  Here it is!

This is definitely a budget friendly meal, which is why I made it this week. You can make this a side dish but I made it as our main dish tonight.

Ingredients: 
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
4 slices of bacon

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Pierce the sweet potatoes all over and place on a baking sheet with aluminum foil (I used a silpat mat) and bake for about 1 hour, until soft.  *Depending on the size of your potatoes you may need to leave them in longer or shorter*  Let cool for a few minutes.
Cut the potatoes in half and spoon out the insides into a large bowl.  Leave some flesh inside the potato.
Reduce oven temp to 375 degrees and brush with a little olive oil.  Place the skins back in for 10-15 minutes.  In the meantime, add the milk, honey, cinnamon and butter and combine.  (I used a pastry cutter to "mash" the potatoes some)  Take the skins out and fill with the sweet potato mixture.
Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
*At the same time, I put the bacon in to cook.  I place mine on aluminum foil on a baking sheet and let them cook for about 15 minutes.* Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain the oil.
The sweet potatoes and the bacon will be done around the same time.
Crumble the bacon on top and serve.

**As with anything, I encourage you to make it your own!  Put goat cheese on top or another cheese you like or drizzle with plain yogurt sweetened with some honey, etc...**




P.S. I actually ate mine in the car on the way to Costco- it was on my lap.  Not our normal dinner but Ben took Luke to MMA and piano and I took Eve with me on a Costco run....real life.  And I knew I would be hangry if I didn't eat before I got there AND I would overbuy probably, which at Costco is no bueno!!! 
Me with my dinner on my lap : )


Comments

  1. It makes me smile that you brought nice silverware and an actual plate instead of plastic fork and paper plate/napkin to make it your meal on the go. Classy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts