Catching up! + Happy Easter : )


Loving the weather (not so much the pollen) and life and the "freshness" that comes with springtime. 
A little behind on meal planning, so here goes...

*Disclaimer with some of the meals- I strive for the whole 80/20 balance in life with food.  I have some food sensitivities, which is why you see the gluten free recipes and I mostly try to avoid eggs and some other random foods BUT my family isn't and while they eat everything I make, I like to throw them a bone frequently- SO that is why there is a mix of indulgences but most of the time we stick to "healthy" or what we consider balanced eating : ) 
-Although Luke complains that at each meal there is something on his plate that he doesn't love
: ) ...except breakfast! 

Breakfasts lately...

Made a batch of Paula Deen's Biscuits


We typically make breakfast sandwiches out of them- this one- eggs + bacon-


I posted about this awhile back, but still my fave breakfast obsession...

I know there are a million soaked oatmeal recipes, but this is what I do on my own! 
*1/2 cup oats* 1/2 cup water* 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk* cinnamon * a little Stevia *
Just mix all in a bowl and place in fridge overnight- 

I eat it straight up like this- with 1 cup of mixed fruit on the top and bacon, because well, bacon. 



On school mornings, my go-to quickie breakfasts for the kids consist of these along with some fruit! 


Onto dinners- 

Taco Night! 
*corn tortillas
*ground beef taco meat-
Heat skillet to medium heat. Add ground beef and brown the meat, breaking up the meat as you go along. Drain any excess fat. Add about 4 tbsp chili powder, 2 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp oregano and salt to taste. Mix well. Then add about 1/2 cup water and simmer about 5-10 min until the liquid is reduced and the flavors meld into a "sauce".
*lettuce
*salsa
*cheese
*rice + beans
This was Luke's plate below... 

*Foodie with Family Blog*
I have posted this one before- I don't make the pancakes that go with them, although I am sure they are fabulous- and I usually add sweet potato in the mix- delicious- I picked up some quality kielbasa at Sprouts the other day. 



Turkey + Goat Cheese Burgers- 

No specific recipe- just freestyled- 
Ingredients-
16 oz. ground turkey
4 oz. goat cheese
salt + pepper to taste

Directions- 
Mix turkey, goat cheese and s + p in a bowl and make into patties- 
Heat grill pan to medium or medium/high heat and cook 5-6 minutes on one side, then flip for ~3 minutes on the other side.  Check for "doneness" with a meat thermometer or just cut into a little to make sure there is no pink- 
**I had sauteed some kale and mixed with some homemade balsamic dressing, so I threw some on the burgers as well**



*Mix and Match Mama Blog*
The kids LOVE this one- it is the sweet and salty combo I think! 


Another freestyle burger (this is from the last TWO weeks- don't worry, we didn't eat burgers every night ; ) I definitely meal plan, but when I get to the grocery store and I see something on sale, I go for it.  The bison was on sale but it was only 12 oz. I realized! Not enough to make enough burgers for our family SO I mixed in some ground pork---here is that thrown together recipe-

Pork + Bison Burger

Ingredients
12 oz. ground bison
6 oz. ground pork
salt + pepper
1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (adjust depending on how you like the taste)
2-3 cloves of garlic minced

Directions
Mix all together in a bowl- Cook on a grill pan on the stove top or the grill.  Ben ended up grilling these-   
The guys wanted pepperjack cheese on theirs and lettuce. 

Threw together a strawberry + goat cheese salad with a lemon + honey vinaigrette.  Can you see our love for goat cheese? 


Also, our FAVORITE flank steak recipe! 

Flank Steak - 
Marinade: 
1-3 T. sesame seeds
1/4 c. salad oil 
1/2 c. soy sauce or tamari
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. ginger (scant) 
1/8 c. brown sugar (I will honey instead sometimes) 
2 green onions sliced (I don't always have these on hand and it is fine without them I think!) 

Place steak in a glass dish. Pour on marinade and let stand overnight in refrigerator- flip occasionally- *I usually don't have enough planning to do this overnight and it still turns out yummy without marinating overnight.  Even if you marinate for 4 hours, I think it is still good. 
Broil or BBQ 5. min each side- 


*Served with roasted potatoes and a salad*

Lastly, tried a dessert recipe for a friend's birthday that turned out pretty well. 

*Eat Live Run Blog*




I brought it to the restaurant where they the whole sombrero and birthday song deal!! 


Phew! Okay- keep scrolling for life lately and a neat ministry opportunity if you are in the Marietta/Atlanta area.

This is how Eve poses every day.  Oh man.  She gets in something that is sparkly or tacky and then asks me to take her picture...


One day was a pajama day over spring break, so bubble tea + pajamas = winning combo. 


Date Night. Poor Ben- he is like, I am just trying to drive...and I am like, hey can you smile for the camera...priorities. 

We just fit in a quick date night to our local Chicken + the Egg restaurant on Thursday night- 2 for $25 night- 1 appetizer, TWO entrees and TWO desserts- we both got the salmon over hash (brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes....)


Girls weekend in Charlotte, NC! These are my very best friends from University of Florida who both live in the Washington D.C. area- we met at my sister's and had a fabulous weekend. 


7th Street Public Market in Charlotte- SO FUN.


Favorite part was going to Fahrenheit , a cool rooftop bar and restaurant. FUN part of this was a guy was about to propose to his girlfriend and he had asked kindly if when she got there, if we could move out of the way of their picture/moment basically.  We didn't care! But it took a little bit longer...okay a lot longer than he thought and then he was insistent on paying for ALL of our drinks and food. Well okay then! 



Holy Nachos! 



Laura lived in Germany her whole life until college and I lived in Germany as well and our paths intersected there but then college was when we really became friends- anywho, the Easter egg tree became a huge tradition- this is us blowing the yolk out of our eggs...it is kind of gross. 









THIS IS SEXY- my man doing the laundry : ) 


OKAY, so Marietta/Atlanta people.  If you are interested in helping love on women and girls who are being sexually exploited/trafficked, there is a ministry started through a couple in our church called The Table on Delk just click on the link << to find more about it.  But every Saturday they go on outreach to connect with some of the women in that lifestyle and share with them but also offer to come to The Table where we can cook and feed them, love on them and show them they have a choice.  


One girl requested boiled eggs and grilled cheese...we didn't have a stove top so I poured boiling water into a mug and set it on the hot griddle...did it work? NOPE! But I tried. Maybe they would have been done in about 1 1/2 hours? Ayiyi...


Family night at Delia's Chicken Sausage Stand- So good! 










Comments

Popular Posts