Summer Goodies! Meals + Treats

Another hodge-podge of a post with different snacks, desserts and meal ideas...keeping it simple over here- lots of grilling and simple sides! 

First one needs no explanation- just a delish s'mores
We took the kids to a cabin in the Blue Ridge, GA area for the weekend and it was lovely- of course, these had to happen while we were there! 


Here is my disclaimer with this post--- we get a big Costco check each year and with it we stock up on meats we don't normally buy- the filet mignon, flank steak, frenched lamb, etc...we are not eating this super often and don't buy it much! 


Filet mignon, mashed potatoes and side salad- This was Father's Day dinner- we brought out the fancy stuff : ) ! 
And Ben loves mashed potatoes and I don't make them a whole lot- he was a happy camper. 
NOTHING fancy about the mashed potatoes- really just some butter and I actually used almond milk because that is just what I had- they were super creamy! 


THIS was a huge leap for me- A while back a friend ordered some meat from White Oak Pastures- a somewhat close by farm in the Atlanta area and I thought, what the heck, I will order some duck. I had never cooked with duck before and it turned out so well! 
*Bon Appetit* 
Except I just used a red wine instead of the port- 
AND made a simple mashed sweet potatoes to serve on- I just used a little bit of butter, cinnamon and a little bit of almond milk.  That is also some roasted butternut squash...



An oldie but a goodie...

Korean Flank Steak
Marinade: 
1-3 T. sesame seeds
1/4 c. salad oil 
1/2 c. soy sauce/tamari
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. ginger (scant) 
1/4 c. brown sugar (I will honey instead sometimes) and I usually just use 1/8 brown sugar and it is still good! 
2 green onions sliced (I don't always have these on hand and it is fine without them I think!) 

Place steak in a glass dish. Pour on marinade and let stand overnight in refrigerator- flip occasionally- 
Broil or BBQ 5. min each side- 


Served with...
Coconut Rice, Roasted Purple Cauliflower and freshly picked corn- courtesy of a sweet friend! 

Next, is EASY Sunday eating- 
I took out...hummus, tapenade, blueberry goat cheese, watermelon, carrots, rice crackers, chips + salsa and some multigrain crackers- dinner done. The kids actually loved it! Make yourself a "tapas" plate and you don't have to turn on the oven at all! 



*Fannetastic Food Blog*
For Ben and the kids served over rice, which I just wasn't feeling that night, so I just combined it with some golden beets for me and then made sweet potato wedges as well! 



At the cabin, we kept it super simple- focus on a protein and veggies...here is one creation.
Brought kielbasa, raw sauerkraut, roasted some potatoes + a Salad! 



Y'all, I made this straight up full of gluten and all the things blueberry pie so I went Betty Crocker style...
*Betty Crocker *
Luke helped with this one and first time with lattice work action! 



With our blueberry bounty from blueberry picking, we made Blackberry Coconut Oatmeal Muffins
from the Heather Christo Blog- BUT true to Cristina-style, I used blueberries instead and left out the coconut and didn't put the topping on...don't be afraid to make it your own! They turned out well! 



Random creation- 
This is Trader Joe's Frozen Cauliflower Pizza Crust
I just followed the directions on the box and then added fig jam + sliced peaches + goat cheese...pretty good! 


Now to combine the blueberries + peach theme I have going on- we made these Peach + Blueberry Popsicles and I seriously can't remember what recipe we used...just google it and there is a plethora of options! They were eating these for breakfast : ) 
*Kid feedback* They prefer the blueberries to be blended in and not kept whole- duly noted. 





Have a great week!!!! 

Life Lately- keep scrolling if interested in food adventures! 

Date Night!!! 
Hoang Loang
Hole in the wall in Marietta- their spring rolls- if I could fist pump someone after eating this, I would. 

Random new things
*Roasted Golden Beets - Trader Joes
*Rambutan- Trader Joes- apparently I have been living under a rock about this fruit! 
*Ball squash- Marietta Farmer's Market- I have never seen this squash before
*Golden raspberries- Trader Joes
*Green Matcha Chia Seed drink- Marietta Farmers Market


Morning Date with my girl- she requested the Marietta Farmer's Market and Bubble Tea- I am raising her right :) 
IN THE RAIN- but she loved it and wanted to get wet the whole time! 




Bigun's BBQ- on the way back from Blue Ridge- in my mind, you can't have BBQ without beef brisket! 


Family Birthday Dinner- Yeah Burger! 




Tried a new place in the ATL and it was so good! The kids were troopers! 


Sharing their salad- just so you know, they weren't thrilled about it, but did it anyway- it was for my birthday! 



This is Luke's picture taking skills...my girl Jen bringing me a Starbucks drink on my birthday...*sigh*


Seed! 
East Marietta- my parents treat us to a birthday meal every year and this is where I picked- this is the lamb....YUM.



Not complete without some sangria!!! 





Comments

Popular Posts